We offer the following resources to our graduate clients:
- Writing consultations, by appointment or on a drop-in basis. We can assist with many graduate writing projects, including seminar papers; conference abstracts, proposals, and talks; cover letters and CVs; literature reviews; and personal statements.
- Writing support at the UAWC Resources page.
- Writing workshops, at the request of student groups or graduate faculty members. Sample topics include abstracts, literature reviews, and personal statements.
- Dissertation Writers’ Retreat. Held in May, this three-week (12-day) event provides dissertation writers with the opportunity to make substantial progress on their projects, reflect on and improve their writing habits, and develop a supportive community of fellow student writers. Prospective participants must complete an application in the spring semester. Details are made available via this website, Facebook, Twitter, and campus e-mails.
Comments from our recent Dissertation Writers’ Retreat participants
- “This was one of the most valuable experiences that I will take away from my long tenure at UA. I wish EVERY graduate student could have this experience! Workshop leaders were so helpful, compassionate, and inspiring.”
- “I had such a wonderful experience ‘knocking the rust off’ of my writing skills: which v. that, overuse of prepositions, changing my sentence structure to make it reader-friendly.”
- “I learned that if I am committed to writing a little bit on most days, I will make significant progress. I am more capable of this than I had realized.”
- “I need community. I need to talk through my ideas. That’s part of my process, and this retreat allowed me to work through my toughest chapter because I could talk it out.”
- “I learned how to set a writing goal, and I realized the benefits of a writing group.”
- “PhD students should be encouraged to participate in workshops like this at least two years prior to their defense.”
- “This experience was transformative for me as writer. I am so thankful to all who helped plan, fund, and lead this retreat.
- I made such wonderful headway on my project and met most of the goals I set. I loved that we were in a safe community space to readjust our goals when needed and get support to finish them.”
- “I accomplished all of my goals, and gained a new sense of confidence in my writing. I made tremendous progress on my project.”