The Writing Center offers distance learning support for students enrolled in online courses or programs.
Our distance learning, or E-tutoring service, is asynchronous; it can be done at your convenience by uploading your draft so that a consultant can read it, insert comments, and send feedback to you. Distance learning appointments must be made at least one day in advance. Consultants can normally look at up to 10 pages per session.
To use eTutoring:
- Please wait until your draft is ready for review before making an appointment (you can attach a new draft later if you revise your work before your appointment time).
- From our home page, click on the “make an appointment” link.
- Use the drop-down arrow to choose the distance learning schedule and log in with your Crimson ID and password.
- Click on an available appointment (a white square) to select it.
- On the appointment form, explain what you want your tutor to look for. (Example: “I want feedback on my thesis statement and organization.”)
- Attach your assignment sheet as well as any rubrics or instructions from your professor. You can also insert questions into the draft (using the “comments” function) to ask questions about specific parts of your paper.
- On the appointment form, you will see the option to upload your paper.
- After making the appointment, you can edit it or attach an updated paper by logging in to our system and clicking on your appointment.
- Your tutor will insert comments on your draft using the “reviewing” tab in Word. Tutors do not edit your paper or make changes directly to the text. The tutor will also fill out a client report form summarizing the feedback. This form serves as proof of your completed appointment.
- Note: you do not need to be present during the session, and you may access the feedback at your convenience.
- Once the paper review is complete, our system automatically sends your draft with comments and your client report form (in two separate e-mails).
- We also store your feedback in our appointment system so you can retrieve it later. To access your draft and client report form, log in to MYWC ONLINE and click on your appointment. (You can scroll through the schedule to return to appointments from prior weeks).
- If using a mobile device, you may need to download the attachment in order to view tutor comments.
Still have questions? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the Writing Center uses papers submitted online for teaching and training. If we use your work for tutor training, your name and personal information will be removed. If you don’t want your work to be used for training, you can let us know by e-mailing email@example.com. Your request will be honored.