Information for Distance Learners
Welcome to the University of Alabama Writing Center! Our purpose is to provide writing consultations to all UA students, graduate and undergraduate, on campus and off. We can help you with both general writing skills and more discipline-specific forms of writing at any stage of the writing process. We also maintain a collection of writing sources in electronic form for your use.
Important Notes :
- Distance consulting is available to students who are physically unable to visit the UA Writing Center (in Lloyd 322) due to prohibitive driving distance or physical disability.
- Distance consulting is not available to students who are capable of visiting the UA Writing Center in person. These students should set up an appointment for face-to-face consulting here.
- Distance consulting is available throughout the year, including holidays, unless otherwise noted.
How to use our Distance Consulting Service:
- E-mail your paper as a .doc attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your class name, section number, and the word “paper” in the SUBJECT box. Example: NURS 699.001 PAPER. This information MUST be included in order for your work to be reviewed.
- Include a copy of the assignment sheet or a brief description of the assignment. Indicate your paper’s strengths, weaknesses, and any other specific questions you may have.
- Expect a response per the following schedule:
Submitted anytime Monday; Returned by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday
Submitted anytime Tuesday; Returned by 11:59 p.m. Thursday
Submitted anytime Wednesday; Returned by 11:59 p.m. Friday
Submitted anytime Thursday; Returned by 11:59 p.m. Monday
Submitted anytime Friday, Saturday, or Sunday: Returned by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday
- The above schedule may change due to circumstances beyond the control of the Writing Center, such as high client volume or server issues. You will be notified if your projected return date changes.
- Send no more than ten (10) pages per submission, including title page, reference pages, etc. Anything in excess of this amount will not be reviewed.
- One submission–that is, one file–per client per week. Anything in excess of this amount will not be reviewed.
- Your consultant will offer constructive criticism, but will not edit your work.
- The UAWC is a consulting service, and as such will not be held responsible for any faculty evaluation you may receive on work you submit to us.
- By submitting a draft to us, you agree to all of the above terms.
- Direct further questions to Dr. Luke Niiler, UA Writing Center director, at 205-348-5049 or email@example.com.